Sunday 17 July 2011

Uk Strength and Power meet 2011

For those of you who don't know, I have competed in the uk strength and power meet for the last couple of years. Two years ago I came second and last year I came first. The comp is set up for people who aren't professional strong men but they are strong man type events. There are weight classes for men and women and I have been in the heaviest category of 90kg+ each year.
This year the comp is even bigger with three sectional qualifications in Reading, Cardiff and Manchester and a final in October. I couldn't make Reading because I was moving house so decided on Cardiff instead.

The competition had four events two being a complete surprise. First two competitors in each weight category go through to the final. Weights lifted on the day depended on competitor weight although the deadliest event was max weight you could achieve out of 4 lifts.

Event 1
52kg circus dumbbell ground to overhead, max reps in 75 seconds. Weight had to be locked out overhead with one hand clear for rep to count. Dumbbell had to fully touch floor for rep to count.
I came joint first with 17 reps.





Event 2
Conans wheel. Max distance in 90 seconds. 120kg on wheel. Can only carry it in zercher position.
I placed first on this event. Going well so far!



Event 3
One handed deadlift. 7 attempts to achieve 1 rep max lift. Can only have one failed attempt and bar must be static at top of lift. I placed joint first with 4 other people with a lift of 150kg. I had two attempts at 160kg but the first didn't balance and the second I couldn't get my hips locked out.



(140kg lift)

Event 4
Medley. 20m duck walk with 160kg, 20m sled pull with 100kg, 20m tyre flips, 20m 62kg keg carry. I really wanted to win this one for the full house and I feel medleys are my strongest event so wanted to do well. I went last due to my placing with the other events and had a time of 1.26 to beat. This was going to be tough as I couldn't see where I could make up the time. I didn't feel like I took a breath throughout this event but in reality I'm sure I was breathing hard.
Somehow I managed to pull a time of 1.17 out of the bag! Another first place and I think the fastest time of the day.



Overall I placed first which I am very pleased with. I hope that the final will be as successful but I'm sure the competition will be fierce!

Thanks to Chet Morjaria Andy Mac, Stephen Hollingdale and Andy Edwards for hosting and to all the other judges and Helpers. Was a really well organised day and great to have a go at some new things. Looking forward to the final.










Location:Cardiff

No comments:

Post a Comment